By Sierra Air Conditioning & Plumbing
No One Wants to be Without Heat in the Middle of Winter.
Do the following before calling for a heating system service:
- Ensure the thermostat is switched to the “heat” position and that the desired temperature (setpoint) is above the room temperature shown on the thermostat reading. Depending on the brand of the thermostat, either the words “heat on” or a flame symbol will be displayed. If the words or symbol is flashing, wait until it stops (approximately 5 minutes).
- Ensure the circuit breaker for your furnace is in the “on” position. If there is red showing at the switch or the switch is in the center, it is likely “off or tripped.” For a furnace, the circuit breaker may be labeled, “furnace, FAU, or Air Handler.” An air conditioner circuit breaker will likely be labeled as “AC, Condenser, Heat Pump, or Cond.” If you have a heat pump, both circuit breakers must be in the “on” position for the system to work. If the circuit breaker(s) are off, reset by switching first to the off position and then on. If they go off again immediately when reset, do not reset them again. Call for service right away!
- If your furnace or air handler is located in a closet or the garage, ensure that it’s plugged in or that the switch is in the on position. (The switch resembles a light switch.)
- Ensure that the air filter is clean. Dirty air filters impede good airflow and performance, including heating properly. If the filter needs changing, replace it and switch the thermostat to off and then on. See if normal operation resumes.
- If you heat with a gas system, verify that other gas appliances in your home are working properly. If they are, there is likely no problem with the gas supply.
- If you perform the previous 5 suggestions (as they apply) and your system is still not functioning properly, turn the thermostat to the off position and call for service.
- If you have a heat pump heating system, if at any point in the previous system checks you notice that both the indoor and outdoor units are not operating at the same time, turn the system off and call for service.
NOTE: If at any time during the previous system checks, you feel uncomfortable with your ability to properly initiate a step or interpret the results, call Sierra Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We are happy to help!